Joseph Regent1

M, #453, b. 1878, d. 3 August 1945
Joseph Regent 1879-1945
FatherJoseph Marie Regent1 b. 2 May 1849, d. 21 Dec 1905
MotherEliza Maroc1 d. 5 Apr 1886
RelationshipGreat-uncle of Timothy George Sheens
Last Edited9 Apr 2015
Note Joseph Regent, better known as Joe, was the eldest son of French immigrant Joseph Marie Regent and Eliza Maroc (the daughter of a French immigrant).
Joe may have been fortunate to avoid a gaol sentence when arrested after fire destroyed his Plumpton property in 1906. The newspaper accounts reveal that his marriage was in trouble and in 1912 he was granted a divorce from his wife Esther.
Joe played cricket for the Surrey team in the Balmain and Diistrict Cricket Association and appears regularly in the wicket taking lists from 1902 to 1906.
He was a first grade Rugby Union player who switched to Rugby League and played fullback for Balmain in their first game in 1908. Joe played two seasons for the Tigers, moving to the forwards in 1909, and captained Balmain in the victory over Eastern Suburbs in the final before the controversial grand final forfeit to South Sydney in 1909. It was an unfortunate end to a career that spanned 20 games with six tries and six goals for a total of 30 points.
Birth*1878 Balmain, NSW1 
Death of Mother5 April 1886 Balmain Road, Leichhardt, NSW;
REGENT. - April 5, 1886, at her residence, Balmain-road, Elizabeth Regent, leaving a husband and six children to mourn their loss, aged 32 years, dearly beloved sister of J. J. Ward, George-street, Sydney.;Principal=Eliza Maroc2 
Article21 May 1900 "The Sydney Morning Herald", NSW;
Following on our notes on the opening of the season published on Saturday, we now give the prospects of the clubs engaged in the first-grade competition: -
This club will have its headquarters at Birchgrove Park, and it is fortunate in the possession of so fine a playing area. The club has received good support from the public, notwithstanding that the district is the stronghold of the British Association game. If, however, there is good support from the local people pecuniarily the presence of so strong a following of the other game militates against the Rugby club receiving a similar measure of support from players as is enjoyed by the other district clubs. There are hard workers in the cause of sport in the suburb who are striving hard to further the interest of Rugby football, and perhaps they may succeed in improving the first-grade team. The fact that they have shown great perseverance in other branches of sport leads to the opinion that they will ultimately succeed at the task now in hand. The fact that they have shown great perseverance in other branches of sport leads to the opinion that they will ultimately succeed at the task now in hand. The club's president, Mr. A. C. J. Wood, is known as one who is a great worker in matters of sport, and with the assistance of the secretary, Mr. F. Matthews, and the committee a fairly good team, considering the local football conditions, has been got together. C. Light, of the Sydney Club, will occupy the position of full-back. He is a very fine goal-kicker and an excellent defender the three-quarter line will be filled by promising juniors in the brothers Halloran, late of Manly Federal, and Nelligan, of Balmain Carlingford. The five-eighths will be chosen from Hughes and Irving, of Balmain Cambridge, and Regent, of the Sydney Club. The forwards resident in the district are a strong lot but there in a doubt as to whether a couple will throw in their lot with the club. The choice will be made from Mullet, of Pirates; C. and R. Hutcheson, Murray, and Amos, of Sydney; Symon and Reed, of Buccaneer; and last year's juniors, Andrews, of Adelphi; Dobbs and Thompson, Balmain Carlingford; Lenehan, of Leichhardt, C. Woods, of Manly Federal, and Hogue, who comes with an English reputation.3 
Residence1901 14 Foucart Street, Balmain, NSW4 
Marriage*30 March 1901 Reorganised Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, 471 Pitt Street, Sydney, NSW;
Groom: Joseph Regent
Status: Bachelor
Place of Birth: Balmain Sydney
Occupation: Woolsorter
Age: 22
Usual Residence: Halloran Street Leichhardt Sydney
Father: Joseph Regent
Occupation: Woolsorter
Mother: Lizzie Maroc (deceased)

Bride: Esther Johnson
Status: Spinster
Place of Birth: Sydney
Occupation: Domestic
Age: 23
Usual Residence: Wardell Road Petersham Sydney
Father: John Johnson
Occupation: Cab driver
Mother: Elizabeth Wright

Date of Marriage: 30 Mar 1901
Place of Marriage: 471 Pitt Street Sydney NSW
Religion: Reorganised Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints
Witnesses: Edith Carolus, Joice Jones
Minister: John Kaler

This marriage no 2526/01 was dissolved by decree of the Supreme Court of NSW on the 16 Feb 1915; Registered No 139/12; RG Dept No 1593/15; Petitioner: Husband – 24 Feb 1915;Bride=Esther Johnson1 
Article17 April 1901 "The Referee", NSW;
A Lively Bout.
Harry Phillips and Joe Regent (the Balmain footballer) fought their return engagement at the Golden Gate Hall on Wednesday night last, when the result was the same as before, though a little more tardy In coming — Phillips won. Phil lips doesn't know extra much about the game, but he knows more than Regent. The match lasted five rounds.
Regent's pluck was the feature of the fight. No sooner was he knocked prostrate than up he'd get again. It was a Regent house, that barracked for its man incessantly, but to no purpose, for despite the fact that Regent took punishment in big doses frequently and unflinchingly, no headway worth mentioning could be made. Ultimately Don. M'Donald had to go between them— the contest was too one-sided.
Death of Father21 December 1905 Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, Camperdown, NSW;
Name: Joseph Regent
Date of Death: 21 Dec 1905
Place of Death: Royal Prince Alfred Hospital Camperdown; former address Belmore Road Peakhurst NSW
Occupation: Storeman
Sex: Male
Age: 56
Conjugal Status:
Place of Birth: France
Time in Aust Colonies: 36 years in NSW

Father: Unknown
Occupation: Unknown
Mother: Unknown

Place of Marriage 1: Sydney
Age at Marriage 1: 21
Name of Spouse 1: Elizabeth Marve
Children of Marriage 1: Mary 29, Joseph 27, John 25, Lily 23, Clara 20 living; 1 male deceased

Place of Marriage 2: Sydney NSW
Age at Marriage 2: 46
Name of Spouse 2: Helen McNamara
Children of Marriage 2: Ellie J 8, Augusta 7, Eugenie 5, unnamed female 3 (or 2? handwriting is not conclusive) living
Informant: J Regent, son of deceased, Plumpton

Cause of Death: Aneurism of innominate artery (altered from inominate artery)
Length of Illness: 12 months
Medical Attendant: Jas M McEncroe
Date last seen: 21 Dec 1905

Date of Burial: 23 Dec 1905
Place of Burial: Roman Catholic Cemetery Rookwood
Minister & Religion: John Fitzpatrick, Roman Catholic
Undertaker: Crockett and Compy
Witnesses: James Dyason, William Jones;Principal=Joseph Marie Regent5 
Article31 March 1906 "The Nepean Times", Penrith, NSW;
Fire at Plumpton
An enquiry into the cause of a fire which took place at Plumpton on January 27 was commenced on Friday of last week by Mr Arthur Judges, J.P., District Coroner, at Rooty Hill.
Senior-Sergeant Peterswald conducted then case for the Crown. The following evidence was given:—
Joseph Regent, sworn, deposed: I am a produce dealer residing at Balmain, lately of Plumpton, near Rooty Hill; I was living at Plumpton at the time of the fire, on 7th January last; I went to Sydney on the 4th or 5th January, and returned on the morning of the 7th of the same month at about 11 am, and remained on the premises all day; my wife had left on the Friday previous; I went to bed on Sunday night, 7th January, about quarter past 9, and went to sleep; I slept in the front verandah, where I had slept for years, and woke feeling the hot air passing over my head from the window under which I was sleeping—the most southerly window on the eastern side of the house; I jumped up and found all the back of the house was on fire, and sang out to my next-door neighbor, Barrow; I saw the flames coming through an opening over the top of the middle door; just at this time I heard the mail train pass, which usually passes at a quarter to 10 p.m, a little later on; I immediately ran to the back and opened the back door to see how the fire started, and found the room in flames; I shut the door at once and ran for water, and tried my best to put it out; about four minutes later Mr Barrow came— he lives about 300 yards away; Mr Barrow said 'It's no use throwing water on it, it's only waste of time'; I did not reply, but went to the front of the building and stood there with him; when I first got up I took the light bed that I had slept on and re moved it out of reach of the fire; while standing with Barrow he said to me 'What the devil have you been doing?' he said he did not hear me call, but his wife did, and I said ' It is a funny thing you did not hear me when Hamlin did on the hill a mile away'; I recollect now that I made this remark to Barrow afterwards, and not at the time when first standing there; I made no further effort to put the fire out, I thought it was hopeless; the building was a four-roomed cottage built of weatherboard, with shingle roof and verandah only on the western side; there was a fireplace in the front room, but we never used it; the partitions were all of woodwork except one of the back rooms, which was half lined with galvanised iron; there was no ceiling to any of the rooms; the two back rooms were roofed with iron; the plan produced is a correct sketch of the premises, and is marked Exhibit A; the back rooms I have numbered 3 and 4; No. 3 room was at the time our dining-room, and contained a pine table, three or four Austrian chairs, and several pictures, but no fireplace or bed; there were curtains on the window and doorway (no door); in No 4 room there were two little beds, a washstand and chairs, carpet on the floor of this or No. 3 room; No. 2 room had in it a sewing machine, dresser and safe combined full of crockery, table pier glass, sofa, covered suite, pictures, mat and carpeting; No. 1 room contained a double bed, couple of chairs, washtable, strip of oilcloth, and big oak trunk containing wearing apparel; I had five suits of clothes in this trunk, and my wife had five or six dresses hanging up behind a curtain; there were two watches on the trunk when I last opened it—a silver and a common one; I used a lamp for the purpose of lighting the place; before I went to bed that night the lamp was out for want of oil, and I placed it on the machine in No. 2 room; there are windows in front of No. 1 and 2 rooms; I undressed that night on the verandah and made the bed previous to that; my clothes I placed on a chair—trousers and vest; I was not wearing a tie; I saved absolutely nothing out of the house; I consider the value of the house, land, and outbuildings £80, and the furniture and clothes at £80 or £90; I had the house furniture, etc, insured in the Union Company for £160 on 24th January, 1905; I insured with Mr W Hamlin, local agent of the Society; he did not come and inspect it, he asked me what I valued it at and I told him; he wanted me to insure it for more; I wanted £125, and he said 'Make it £150,' which I did; I told him what furniture I had; I paid the premium for the year; I am certain no one from the company inspected the premises or my furniture; my place was destroyed about a fortnight before the premium was due; financially I was good at the time of the fire; no cash was lost at the fire; I owned 13 head of cattle, carts, chaffcutter, etc, on the premises; I owned £60 worth of property, besides what I mentioned; Stephen, Jacques and Stephen lent me money, £130, on my two properties—one at Balmain and the one destroyed; the land is 100 x 122, worth £150; I did not owe any other money that I know of; I borrowed tho £75 about eight months ago, which I used in completing the purchase of the Balmain property; I paid all the £75 away but £2; two months later I got the £55 from the same firm and told them I wanted to go into business to buy skins; at this time I had £30 cash in hand; I now have about £100 in the bank, and I still owe Stephen, Jacques and Stephen £100 on the two properties; the insurance company paid me £100 : one shed, insured for £25, was not destroyed; £30 was deducted for Stephen, Jacques aud Stephen; I sold two horses for £25 in October last to Mr Harvey; I have been trying to dispose of my Plumpton property for some time; I did not intend leaving, I intended to get a bigger run; tho only way I can account for the fire is that a spark from a fire in No. 5 room may have settled in the shingles; the fire was dead out at half-past 7; I never smelt anything burning when I went to bed; I had not a cold; a bit of a breeze sprung up about half-past 7; when I went out in the back there was no fire in No. 5, but the shingles on No. 4 were burning; the iron did not wholly cover the shingles; this is the same as what I said in my statutory declaration for the insurance company; there was no other fire that I know of in the neighborhood; I told Constable Vogel and Mr Hamlin the same thing; [declaration, dated 10th January, handed to witness, who acknowledged the signature was his]; the contents of the declaration is true; the mortgage referred to in the declaration is the one referred to by me before; if I had paid my debts I could have paid my insurance premium; after I made my bed that night, and the light had gone out, I went to the shed, towards the south, about 30 yards away; I was there about five minutes; there was no sign of fire then; I could see the back of the house where I saw the fire afterwards; I remember singing a song that night, 'What-oh, I'm On '; I was singing loudly when I was making my bed; I carried a lighted lamp from the back room (No. 5) through No. 3 to No. 2 room, where I placed it on the machine; I had no other light that night; I struck some matches over in the shed just before I went to bed; this would be about half an hour before I was awakened and found the house in flames; over a year ago my brother left, and I shifted his furniture; that was before I effected the assurance; I have not sent any furniture away since; on 24th January I sent two chairs, two tubs, and a few nic-nacs put in the tubs; one chair was on the verandah and the other at Mrs Barrett's; at the time of the fire I was on good terms with my wife, but at other times lately I have not been on good terms; my wife went away before the fire to take two youngsters away; they had been staying at my place; I never said anything to my wife about fire, never threatened her with fire; I was before the court once for drunkenness; the tie I have on I had at the time of the fire; it was down at my store at Underwood-street, in Sydney; the suit of clothes I have on was my father's; the watch and chain were in the vest I had on the chair at the time of the fire; when I said two watches were destroyed I made a bloomer, I only lost one; I told the constable at the time of the fire that I lost two watches; the constable told me he had searched the debris, and if two watches had been burnt there would have been traces of them; I did not go to bed that night with my clothes on; I only had my shirt and flannel on; when Mr Hamlin arrived I was standing out with Mr Barrow looking at the fire; I only had the fire in No 2 room for the purpose of making tea; it was not alight more than a quarter of an hour; I was never at the Wind Club, and was not a member; I have been at the Golden Gate, I fought twice there and got a prize; Mrs Barrett came over the day of the fire, and skimmed and set the milk; this was about midday; £115 was the price I paid for the Balmain property; over the bed in No. 4 room there was some bagging to keep the dust from falling off the shingles on to the bed; I do not know that anyone was looking on at the fire when I got up; I put my trousers on before I threw my things off the verandah; I did not sing after the fire broke out; I can't swear I was whistling while the fire was raging; I was not in the habit of keeping clothes in my Balmain house; my clothes were all in the house destroyed; I owned three hats at the time; the hat I have here I was wearing that night and put it on the chair with my other clothes; I usually wear my hat up to the time of going to bed; I had two pairs of boots at the house that night; the pair of boots I have on I got from a Mrs Davis, George-street, Parramatta; her husband has been in the asylum about a month; Mrs Davis is about 34 years of age; she gave me the boots about four weeks ago; the boots have been mended, Mrs Davis got them mended; I never saw Mr Davis, I did not know him; at my store, Underwood-street, Sydney, there are two large boxes of clothes belonging to Mrs Davis; they were sent down to the store after the fire; the tie I have on was at the store at the time of the fire; I think the shirt I was wearing the night of the fire is down at the store.
Esther Charlotte Regent, sworn, stated: I am the wife of Joseph Regent and now residing at Balmain, Sydney; I am aware that my husband has just given evidence; we have been married about eight years last June; I am on good terms with my husband, and have never had to complain of his cruelty; I have been in the habit of leaving my home at Rooty Hill often for medical attendance, and to visit my mother; No. 1 room was a bedroom, 2 front room, 3 bedroom, and 4 single bedroom; the sketch is a fair one; No. 1 was our bedroom at the time; on hot nights both my husband and I would sleep on the verandah; all the windows had curtains and blinds; my clothes were kept, some in boxes and others hung up in No. 1 and No. 4 rooms; the boots my husband is wearing I can't tell how long he has had them; he had two pairs at Rooty Hill at the time and one pair at the store; the pair of boots my husband is wearing he got since the fire; I don't know where he got them; he did not have them at the building before the fire; I do not remember seeing the tie produced before; I saw it after his father's death, I did not see it before the fire; all the clothing my husband had was at Rooty Hill; I can't say where his father's clothes are; he told me the suit he has on was his father's; there was nothing saved from the fire except a chair, blanket and sheet; the only things sent away were a chair, two tubs, blankets, etc; nothing was sent away before the fire; I did not miss anything; [witness described the furniture, etc, in the home]; I left home on Friday before the fire; I took two children home that were staying with us; I arranged to come back on Monday, but my mother induced me to stay another day; the jewellery I am wearing now is all new; I was much surprised to hear of the fire; I did not know of it till the Tuesday; I never told a lady friend of mine that I dreaded such a thing would happen, or anything like it; I knew of a mortgage; I don't know a Mrs Davis at Parramatta; my husband has never told me; I have never been in my husband's store that he has now; the place has been pulled down and put up again; I was in it, but can't remember how long; my husband has nothing in the house at Balmain; my husband has four watches; the one he is wearing now he got since the fire; [witness, cautioned on watch being produced, said she never saw the watch before the fire]; I don't remember the chain; had a matchbox similar; my husband told me the fire started from the back part of the premises; he had been wakened by the hot air, and said he was sleeping on the verandah; he did not say anything about fires outside; he said he had fires for his lunch and tea; I would be surprised to hear that my husband had the watch and chain at the time of the fire; my losses in the fire amounted to over £20; my husband had a hat like the one produced before the fire, but I can't say this is the one.
Sarah Barrow, sworn, stated: I am a married woman residing with my husband at Plumpton; I reside about 200 or 300 yards from where the Regents were living; I am one of the nearest neighbors; I remember the night of 7th January; Mrs Ould, another neighbor, visited me that night; she came to my place at five minutes to 9, just as I was preparing to go to bed; she called out and said 'I've come up, I'll go back '; I answered 'Do not go, I'll be out in a minute'; I came out and she came in; I noticed the clock at the time, it was five past 9; she said 'Is Jack' (meaning my nephew) 'over at Regent's ?' I said 'No, he has gone to bed, that's Mr Regent singing, he came home by this morning's train'; my husband was at home; Mrs Ould and I sat talking for about a quarter of an hour, when we heard Mr Regent singing out 'Mr Barrow, give us a hand'; Mr Barrow rushed to the end of the verandah and said 'My God, Mr Regent's house is on fire,' and he went over to it; I followed my husband and watched the fire from the fence about 20 or 30 yards away; the two bedrooms, one in front and one in the back (No. 1 and No. 4) were then alight), Nos. 2 and 3 later, and No. 5 was the last to burn; could not see Mr Regent, but I could hear him talk to Mr Barrow; he often said he would leave; his place was up for sale; once I heard him say he 'would be out of it before long, it does not suit to have two places going, it would suit us to be living in Sydney'; I told him my place had been up for sale, and we could not find a buyer, and he said 'I'll be out of mine before long; I was on better terms with Mrs Regent; from what she told me they were not on good terms; Mrs Regent told me about a fortnight before the fire that she was afraid her husband would do something to get out of the place; she was telling me how unhappy she was; I said 'He might sell the furniture, then you will have no home - stay at home, more especially at week-ends'; I have often been in their house; Mr Regent had two new suits—he had just got one, a black, and another grey; they were all the clothes he possessed except some old ones; Mrs Regent offered to sell me the black suit for £1; the clothes Mr Regent is wearing I do not think is one of the suits; I have never seen Regent wearing a tie like the one produced; he generally wears a hat like the one produced; I never noticed his boots; I am positive that Regent was not asleep at a quarter past 9; have had conversations with Regent with reference to the fire.
Joseph Regent, recalled: I bought the watch in Macquarie-place two years ago.
Elizabeth Ould, sworn, stated: I am a married woman, residing with my husband at Plumpton; I know Mr and Mrs Grant, and reside about 500 yards from the scene of the late fire; I live to the south of Regent's place, whilst Mrs Barrow lives to the north; I visited Mrs Barrow on the 7th January last, and passed Regent's house within about 100 yards; I am certain it was past half-past eight p m. when I left home, and I passed Regent's place about twenty minutes to 9 p.m.; I noticed a dull light in the house, and I heard a man singing, but did not know who it was, and thought it was Mrs Barrow's nephew Jack, and told Mrs Barrow so when I got there; Mrs Barrow told me that Jack was in bed, and that it must be Mr Regent who was home; I was about a 1/4 of an hour at Mr Barrow's when I heard a man calling out 'Barrow, give us a hand'; Mrs Barrow told me, when I arrived there, that it was five minutes to nine and it takes me a quarter of an hour to go there; it was not more than a quarter of an hour from the time that I heard the singing until the alarm of fire was given; I think it would have been impossible for anyone to have seen me passing from Regent's house, it was too dark.
William Hamlin sworn, stated: I am an inspector of the Union Assurance Society of London; I know Joseph Regent, and effected an insurance with him on 23rd January, 1905, on house and contents—£125 on main building and £25 on brick shed—and he paid the premium, £1, which would be again due on 23rd January, 1906; I reside about a quarter of a mile from Regent's; at about 9 pm. was on fire; when I arrived there the two back rooms were burnt out, and the partition studding between the back and front rooms was collapsing; I asked Regent how the fire had happened, and he said he could not say - that he was asleep on the front verandah and was awakened, by the crackling noise, and that the building was well alight and too far advanced to save anything except a chair, mattress, and sheet, which he showed me; he said he was a considerable loser by the fire, as his wife had a large amount of clothing and dresses, and he himself a number of suits, also two silver watches and another watch in the building, and that he had paid Heath £46 for furniture; we stood yarning with several others, and presently Constable Vogel came on the scene; the constable asked him if he was insured, and he said 'Yes, this is the gentleman who has the matter in hand'; he also told the constable that he did not know how it happened; we walked round the building to see if we could find out where the fire started, and I said it seemed to be in the rear; Regent said 'Yes'; I then asked him if he stored anything inflammable in this portion of the building, and instanced matches; he replied that his wife had a considerable quantity of matches in the house; I then asked if there were rats or mice about the premises, and he said ' Yes, they were always a trouble generally'; I told him to leave everything as it was, not to touch anything until we sent an adjuster the next day to adjust the claim; from what Regent said I came to the conclusion that he believed that rats and matches were a probable solution of the matter; I questioned him about fires about the premises, and he said he had only lighted one for his mid-day meal and at the time he showed Constable Vogel and myself where the fire had been, quite out; Regent distinctly said there had not been a fire there for some hours; the adjuster came up the following morning and the claim was settled for £100; the Insurance Company, on the 11th January, made an offer of £50 for building to Regent in settlement, and on the 16th repeated the offer, in accordance with the adjusters recommendation, for the building and £50 for the contents; this was accepted as settlement in full; Regent, whilst we were standing near the fire told me that his wife had twelve dresses and he had six suits in the dwelling, and I said 'Were they bought at David Jones,' and he said 'No'; there was no wind that evening, the flames went straight up; Regent said he turned in at 8.30 p.m. and went to sleep, and as he was a heavy sleeper, if he had been thoroughly asleep, and it had happened later, he would have been burnt.
Esther Charlotte Regent, recalled, stated: There was nothing inflammable in the back rooms, no hangings in the rooms or on the beds; there was no kerosene in the house, but there were four dozen boxes of wax matches in a treacle tin on the dresser in the front room No 2; no vermin troubled us. I have seen two or three mice, but not lately; I have seen rats in the shed but not in the house; last winter we killed a rat; I never kept matches in any other room than the front room, where the dresser is; Mrs Edwards, of Bay-street, Glebe knows what clothes my father had when he died, and she would know if the clothes my husband is now wearing were part of the clothes that my father left, and which clothes, all of them, were destroyed in the fire.
At this stage the inquest was adjourned to the Wednesday following, at Penrith, when additional evidence was taken as follows:—
Jesse Barrow, sworn, stated: I am a carpenter and reside at Plumpton, and a nephew of Joseph Regent; I remember the fire at Regent's on Sunday evening, the 7th day of January last; just before 9 p.m. I was seated on my front verandah, and Mrs Ould was inside the house with Mrs Barrow; Mrs Ould came to the place at five minutes to nine o'clock; I remember looking at the clock as I noticed the fire, and it had just turned nine; I heard Regent calling out three or four times 'Mr Barrow, give us a hand'; I jumped up, and from the edge of my verandah saw that Regent's place was on fire, and ran immediately to the spot; it was as near as I can recollect five or six minutes past nine when I first noticed the fire; the place is five or six hundred yards away, and I arrived there in three or four minutes; when I got there I saw Mr Regent getting water out of a small dam there and throwing it on the fire; the back of the house was in flames, and they were coming through the roof; the flames were extending across the front rooms and just showing through the front door; the fire was more in the house than in the roof, and gave me the impression that it must have started in the house; the fire must have been raging some little time; there was no one there when I arrived on the scene other than Mr Regent, and the night was calm and no wind blowing; at about a quarter past eight o'clock on the evening of the fire I heard Regent singing; I said to Regent when I got to the fire 'Good God, Regent, what have you been doing' ? he answered 'I don't know, it's on fire—I don't know how it started'; about half-past eight I saw Regent with a lantern near the sheds; he always carried a lantern about.
Jesse Barrow, re-called, stated, in reply to Joseph Regent: I am sure it was a lantern that you carried that night, I saw the rays; I can distinctly see from my place; I did say to you when I came over, that I thought it was someone else calling out at the first call but Mrs Barrow told me it was you.
Sarah Barrow, sworn, stated: I have already given evidence at this inquest; I remember Mrs Regent bringing a chair to my place some weeks before the fire, it belonged to the suite; I saw her approaching my place with the chair, and said to her 'What are you bringing it to me for, I do not want it, Mr Regent would not be very pleased'; she said ' He is not going to have everything; they were not the best of friends then; I had a conversation with Mrs Regent the Tuesday after the fire; I asked her how she thought the fire started, and she said 'O, he's done it right enough'; I said 'It is a pity everything was burnt,' and ' It is a pity your new blankets were burnt,' and she said They were not burnt because I took them away to mother's on Friday'; I asked her if her good ulster was burnt, and she said 'Yes'; I remarked 'What a pity you did not take that with you,' and she said she had as much as she could carry; I have frequently been in Regent's house and should not consider the furniture was worth more than £20; I am quite sure it was a calm night at the time of the fire, there was scarcely a breath of wind.
By Joseph Regent: I was in your house on the day of the fire, in No. 2 and 3 rooms, skimming the milk, at about 11.30 a.m.
Joseph Regent, re-called, sworn, stated: Three weeks after the fire I started to send the things away that escaped from the fire; my wife went over and got a chair from Mrs Barrow, and I asked her what it was doing over there, and she said she lent it to Mrs Barrow for her front room; I asked her how long it was there, and she said eight months; when I made the list up for the insurance company, about two days after the fire, I only put one chair down; the two boxes that I alluded to in my last evidence are still at my store, and contain the same items; I am quite willing to hand over the boxes and contents, and anything else he may like, to the constable at once; I was not aware that my wife took the two blankets away on Friday, as I was away from home; I cannot understand the differences in the time of the evidence given by previous witnesses and myself as to the time of the fire; I lost £60 or £70 more by the fire than I was insured for, notwithstanding that the insurance agent made me insure for £25 more than I wanted to; it was one and a half weeks after the fire that I first heard of the chair being at Mrs Barrow's; I saw it at Mrs Barrow's and asked my wife how it came to be there; it was, I am quite sure, two or three days after the fire that I made up the list of furniture for the insurance company; if I have already stated that I put on the insurance list one chair only as burnt I made a bloomer, as I meant only one chair was saved; the only fire that ever occurred in connection with my family was in my father's premises in last October, and the premises were assured in the same office as mine; I gave my father, in money and stock, £80 for his share in the premises burned, and I took over the liability of the balance owing.
By Mrs Barrow: The statement that I have made about the chair being lent to you by Mrs Regent was what my wife told me.
The enquiry was further adjourned till Thursday. On resuming,
Sarah Barrow, recalled, stated: I have already stated that I have been very frequently in Mr Regent's house; the cretonne now shown me is very similar to what I have seen in Regent's house; it was then used as a mantel drape; I know that Mrs Regent had a piece left over from her mantel drape, and the piece shown is very much like it; the looking-glass shown is the same size as the one I saw at Regent's, the same at the bottom, similar color, and although I cannot swear to it I believe it to be the same; the quilt produced is very like one Mrs Regent, had, and the night dress bag I positively identify because I gave it to her, and I recognise the mak, shape and small hole in it where a button used to be; the pair of pillow slips shown are very like two Mrs Regent had, and I believe they are the same because of the shortness of the length, and Mrs Regent always made hers that length; I recognise the bathing drawers and the dressing-table cotton mat as belonging to Mrs Regent; the bed quilt shown is very like, one Mrs Regent had; when conversing with Mrs Regent, on the Tuesday after the fire, I said to her, 'Mind what you are saying about Mr Regent and the fire or you will put him in gaol,' and she answered 'That is where he ought to have been years ago'; I am positive now, on looking at the piece of cretonne again, that it is the piece I saw at Mrs Regent's; she offered to give it to me.
Margaret Davis, sworn, stated: I am a married woman residing at Parramatta, and my husband is in the Hospital for the Insane and has been there since February; I know Joseph Regent and have known him for two years, and made his acquaintance at Parramatta; all wearing apparel belonging to my husband he has with him at the asylum; I gave three pairs of boots to Regent that I had purchased for small amounts; the boots he has on are one of the pairs; I gave nothing else to Regent except an old coat; he has a box and tin trunk of mine filled with various items belonging to me; when they were sent away from my place everything they contained was mine; there were two nightdress bags in the box when it went away; the one shown, marked 1, is somewhat like the one I put in the box, but I will not swear it is the same; the table mat produced is like one I had, but I will not swear to it; the trunks produced are gentleman's pyjamas that I cut down; the quilt is mine, as also the cretonne and looking glass; the reason I gave the box to Regent was because I wanted him to store it so that it would not be sold with other, goods over which there is a bill of sale; Mr Regent sleeps at my place now and then when in Parramatta and my husband is away.
Joseph Regent, re-called, sworn, stated: The box produced at the Court and its contents are the box and contents given me by Mrs Davis, and handed over to Constable Vogel, at his request, yesterday.
Another adjournment was made till Friday, particulars of which will be found elsewhere.
At the adjourned enquiry on Friday Sarah Barrow (cross examined by Mr W J Dickson, solicitor, of Sydney, who appeared to watch the case on behalf of Joseph Regent) deposed that it was at 10 past 9 when Mr Regent called Mr Barrow; (witness here recapitulated her evidence-in-chief); Mr and Mrs Regent had always been on good terms with witness; were so still; did not recognise the trunk; had been in all the rooms, but never noticed it.
Sen-Sergeant Peterswald: The box was not in the house; it was in the store.
To the Sen-Sergeant: Have no doubt about identity of the nightdress bag; produce its fellow garment, of same wor[k]manship; am positive the clothes Joseph Regent now wears are not those formerly owned by Mr Johnson; only saw the box with Constable Vogele.
Joseph Regent, recalled and re-sworn, stated he did not recognise the table cover (produced); had seen something like it; recognised the box, but not the other exhibits; packed the box himself; knew some of the articles, not others; the things were all spread on the floor; witness picked them up and 'chucked' them in; never had them at the house which was burnt at Plumpton; they were at the store in Underwood-street; saw the box in the Court House; contents' were not in the same order as witness placed them; a piece of cretonne which was at the bottom was at the top. (By the Sergeant) Do not imply that anything was placed in the box; first saw that piece of cretonne two months ago; am a friend of' Mrs Davis; sleep at her house sometimes; don't know Mr Davis; often do business for Mrs Davis; contents of the box are relics of Mrs Davis deceased sister and mother; I store them for her, as the Mont de Piete hold a mortgage over all the things in the house.
Constable Vogele gave evidence as to the discovery of the fire, which has been given in substance by other witnesses; also as to bringing the box and contents to Penrith.
At the conclusion of the constable's evidence Mr Dickson objected to the contents of the box being admitted as evidence on the grounds that it had been opened during the absence of Regent. The Sen-Sergeant supported the admission, and the objection was over-ruled.
On resuming after luncheon the Coroner found that the promises were feloniously and wilfully set on fire by Joseph Regent.
Accused was arrested and committed for trial at the Parramatta Quarter Sessions for 16th July, Bail allowed—self in £40 and two sureties in £20 or one in £40. 3 
Article21 July 1906 "The Nepean Times", Penrith, NSW;
The Plumpton Fire
At Parramatta Quarter Sessions on Thursday, Joseph Regent, a young man, was charged with maliciously setting fire to a dwelling-house at Plumpton, on January 7 last, with intent to defraud. The accused pleaded not guilty and was defended by Mr E R Abigail.3 
Article20 August 1906 "The Sydney Morning Herald", NSW;
Played at the Sports Ground in slight rain. The attendance was about 8000. The result was a win for Balmain by 6 points to 3. Teams:-
Glebe. - Full-back, C. Hedley; three-quarters, A. Cotter, O. McCarthy, A. Conlon, L. Edwards; half-backs, C. McKivatt, F. Wood; forwards, T. Griffin; T. O'Neill, C. Wilks, C. Ellis, J. Clarken, P. Moir, A. Dobbs, F. Prendergast.
Balmain. - Full-back, J. Regent; three-quarters, P. Wilcox, C. Light, G. Barrell, W. Whitting; half-backs, G. Widmer, T. O'Donnell; forwards, E. McFadden, E. Coleman, R. Mullett, R. R. Craig, G. Riley, H. Baulkwell, R. Graves, F. Ballerum.3 
Article1 September 1906 "The Balmain Observer", NSW;
First Grade.
The above match took place on Birchgrove Oval in the presence of large attendance of enthusiasts. Balmain won, after a very uninteresting contest, by 6 points to nil.
Balmain team :— Full-back, C. Moore; three-quarters, P. Wilcox, C. Light, G. Barrell, W. Whitting; halves, J. Regent, T. O'Donnell; forwards, E. M'Fadden, C. Riley, E. Coleman, H. Baulkwell, G. Mullett, R. Graves, R. Craig, F. Ballerum.6 
Article17 March 1908 "The Evening News", NSW;
The Oddfellows' Hall, Balmain, was overcrowded on Monday evening, when the Balmain District Rugby Union Club held its annual meeting.
Mr. John Storey, M.L.A., presided, and on the platform were Messrs. H. D. Wood, W. Howe, W. W. Hill, W. Burleigh, J. Foyle, E. S. Marks, J. Quinlan, Dr. O. Borhsmann, and others.
The annual report was read by Mr. P. F. M'Quade. It stated that the club's performance in the first grade competition was very disappointing. The second grade team, however, made amends by winning 12 matches out of 15, drawing 1, and losing 2, the latter being the first two engagements of the season. The competition points totalled 25, and match points 134 for and 45 against. Exception was taken to the action of the N.S.W. Rugby Union in leaving out the name and photo. of Mr. R. Graves, captain of the Balmain Club, from the presentation group in connection with the match played against New Zealand.
Reference was also made to the manner in which Balmain had been treated by the management committee of the Metropolitan Rugby Union in the allotment of grounds for first grade teams. During the season the club teams had to travel to many distant grounds. Since the inauguration of local football the Balmain club had been engaged in 131 first-grade matches, and out of that number only played 23 in its own distr[i]ct. It was contended that the union did not try to foster local football in Balmain. The committee was pleased to note that the M. R. Union had at last decided to treat the players who were injured as sportsmen by paying all medical expenses and wages lost during the time they were incapacitated.
During the reading of the report there were frequent interjections, and every point against the union was emphasised by applause.
Mr. F. Napier, one of the vice-presidents of the club, and also a trustee of the Birchgrove Oval, moved the adoption of the report. He referred to the matches played by the club, and regretted that the juniors had not received more encouragement from the union. As one of the trustees of Birchgrove Park, he considered that more grade matches should be played there. The trustees had decided to let the Birchgrove Oval to the Rugby League for the forthcoming season. The decision was arrived at because the Metropolitan Union last season had played elsewhere five first-grade matches before it gave Birchgrove Oval a show, and otherwise had only sent junior teams, by that means discouraging local Rugby football. Everyone had a right to play what game of football he pleased, whether it be amateur or professional.
Mr. R. Hutchison seconded the motion, and said that he also considered he had not been treated as a sportsman or a man by the Rugby Union. It was seldom, he said, that so many of the officials of the union attended the Balmain meeting, and they only did so now because they feared that the union would become a thing of the past in Balmain.
The speaker was proceeding to make a statement, but the chairman called upon him to "moderate his remarks,'' whereupon voices from the audience sung out, "No, no" and hooted.
Amid the uproar could be heard cries of 'Your off side," "Rub it in, Bob," "You've got the show."
Mr. Hutchison, proceeding, said the borough team had fallen through because one young fellow, who was the sole support of his widowed mother and her five children, met with an accident, and it was dec[i]ded by the club that it would do something for him, and arranged a concert, and asked the union to augment the result, and they sent £1 1s.
A Voice: What a lovely sum!
Mr. Hutchison said he could not understand why the union would not last year look after this young fellow. Now, since the league was projected, it was willing to allow all sorts of compensation. He contended that the union had never attempted to encourage the players, and the Balmain players in particular. Last season in the country match Balmain in entertaining the players had to expend £10 more than they received from the union, and although the Western team were guests of the union it cost Balmain £2 2s, and the union took 85 per cent of the gate money.
Mr. H. D. Wood (president of the union) then spoke, and said it was a peculiar position to be placed in to attend a meeting of Rugby Union footballers and hear the union decried. He did not think the report was as satisfactory as it should be.
Voice: We never got a chance.
Mr. Wood: In 1906 it was generally reckoned from Balmain's play that in 1907 the club would win the premiership, but the team might not have worked harmoniously. As to the allotment of grounds for First Grade matches, there was a small section of the public which made the Birchgrove Oval unacceptable to players and the referees. That might have been the reason why more matches were not played there.
Mr. Marks, who met with a good deal of interruption, said that the union had received £4078, and expended £3624, and that Balmain had received as much as any other club.
A perfect din of dissent occurred.
Eventually Mr. Marks succeeded in getting a hearing, and said that it might be good enough for a top-notcher to join the League, but his day would not last for ever, and young players must remember that the Rugby Union game was played in most countries, whereas the League game was only played in a few, and the players in Rugby were getting the bulk of the gain. In purchasing the Epping ground, the union had made a good investment. The union's medical fund now provided for the three grades.
"Who made you do it?" "'Rub it into h[i]m," "It was the league that made you do it," and other remarks interrupted the speaker.
Mr. Marks concluded by stating that the union had 30 or 40 young fellows standing loyal, who would keep the Balmain Club to the fore, and not go in for intriguing or dictating. He felt sure they would still have a strong and vigorous club. If footballers in the hall wanted a league team they could find one, but it would not affect amateur Rugby. (Uproar.)
Mr. P. F. M'Quade answered the remarks of the speakers, and at times used such words as "liar," and occasionally a stronger word, to the enjoyment of his supporters.
The report was eventually adopted.
The chairman then called for nominations for officials, but as no response was made it was eventually decided to appoint Mr. W. Whitting hon. secretary pro. tem., and Messrs. Botton, G. Barret, F. Mullett, Ballerum, and Widmer as a provisional committee, authorised to call a general meeting later on.
The meeting concluded with cheers, on the proposition of Mr. R. Graves, for the Rugby League.
Feeling ran very high in the hall, and at the close of the meeting two players got into an alteration, and a rough and tumble took place. When separated, one man was found to be bleeding profusely from the head, and it was stated that a wound had been caused by a knife. The man was taken to the hospital, and was seen by an "Evening News" reporter afterwards, with his forehead bandaged up, and abrasions on his cheeks, nose, and chin.
Oddfellows Hall, Balmain
Photo* 7
Balmain's first team photograph 1908
Back row: H D Davis, T Ryan, R Hutcheson, J Riley, G Atkinson, F Hulme, G Fitzpatrick, W Stewart
Second row: C Sullivan, I Franklin, P F McQuade, C Wilson, T Davidson, S Young
Third row: T J McCabe, D McClymont, H Jones, W Taylor, J Thompson, A Brand, W Singleton, W Davis, H Franklin
Fourth row: E McLaren, H Myers, A Fitzpatrick, J Smeelie, C Levot, H Chidgey, C Newman, A Wilson, L Williams
Fifth row: G Fisher, F Ward, W Laidlaw, G Holmes (patron), R Graves, C Turner (president), A Walker, T O'Donnell, J Apolony
Sixth row: C Moore, O Singleton, W McCulloch, C Walsh, J Farrell, C Higgins, J Black, G Taaffe, A Adams, P Curle
Article*21 April 1908 "The Sydney Morning Herald", NSW;

Yesterday the season for the league opened with some first-grade matches and a mixed lot of players. The chief features in the play as distinct from Rugby were that there was very little kicking for the boundary - "finding the line," as it is called. It was generally to the players' advantage to keep the ball in the field, although boundaries were admissible from penalty kicks. When players punted over the side boundaries, except by penalty kicks, the ball was recalled to the place kicked from, and a scrum formed. There was consequently no "line out" and throw in. When the ball went out accidentally, or a player ran out with it, or was forced out, a scrum ten yards from the spot in the field of play was formed. Charging an opponent about to take a mark was prohibited, the penalty for infringement of this rule being a free kick. Charges were not allowed at free kicks either, nor were the defenders permitted to rush out when a ball was placed to disconcert a probable goal-kicker. They were also not permitted to jump up or extend their hands to try to touch the ball in its flight from a place kick. All they could do was to stand two or three in a line at the mark, and spread themselves with their hacks to the kicker, and their elbows stuck out. After a try had been scored but no goal followed, the ball was brought out to centre and drop- kicked. If a goal were scored the ball was placed and kicked from centre as in old Rugby. When a man was tackled with the ball in his possession he had to put the ball down and play it with his feet if he could. Lifting the feet in the serum was penalised by free kicks, and no break from the scrum was allowed by either side till the ball was clear. In placing the hall in the scrum it had to be thrown in from shoulder high, not placed in underhand or lobbed in. When the ball was forced, a 25-yard punt or drop-kick was allowed to the side forcing. The knock-on was liberally construed. If a man knocked on in the air and then caught the ball, he was allowed to go on with it, so long as it did not touch the ground. Generally speaking, the players yesterday showed that they had become conversant with the new rules, which certainly make a game between two good teams open and fast, with scrums only a second or two in duration.

Played on Birchgrove Park and won by Balmain by 24 to nil.
Balmain: J. Regent, full-back, G. Wilcox, Fitz Patrick, A. Walker, T. Latta, three-quarters; T. O'Donnell, A. Bryant, half-backs; T. Apolony, T. McFadden, W. Fisher, A. Dobbs, A. Ward, R. Graves, forwards.
Western Suburbs: G. Duffln, full-back, Blake, B. Duggan, T. Phelan, P. Franks, three-quarters; R. Gormley, L. Gormley, half backs; J. Abercrombie, T. Mount, J. Stack, E. Meade, W. Elliott, A. Brown, forwards.
Mr Seabrook referee.
The game opened in very lively fashion, both sides showing great willingness, and the ball travelled up and down the ground with great rapidity. From a scrum in Western Suburbs' 25, Balmain secured, and after some splendid passing Latta secured, and got across after a clover dodging run. The attempt at goal failed. Balmain, 3 to nil. For illegal play Balmain were penalised, and Elliott had the kick, but the ball went wide.
Balmain kept Western Suburbs on the defensive, and from a scrum in the latter's corner Graves se cured, and fell across the line. Latta failed at goal. Balmain, 6 to nil. Exciting play followed, Balmain having the advantage; but they missed an easy chance to score from a free kick right in front of their opponents' goal. At half time the score was un altered.
On resuming, Balmain had their opponents on the defensive, play being mostly centred in the vicinity of Western Suburbs' goal. From a scrum Latta obtained, and dodging the Western Suburbs' backs scored. Latta took the kick himself but failed to add the goal points. Balmain, 9 to nil. Soon afterwards Graves got another try, and Latta kicked the goal. Balmain, 14 to nil. Wilcox, a little later, scored yet another try, and Latta converted. Balmain 19 to nil. Another goal for Balmain was scored by Fitzpatrick, who also added the extras. Balmain thus won by 24 to nil.8 
Article15 March 1909 "The Sydney Morning Herald", NSW;
The Balmain District League Rugby Football Club held its annual meeting at the Temperance Hall, Balmain, on Friday, when the following officers were elected: -Patron, Mr Geo. Holmes; president Mr. Cecil Turner; general hon. secretary, Mr. A. Latta; assistant hon. secretary, Mr. A. Walker; hon. treasurer, Mr. M. Laidlaw; delegates to league Messrs. A. Latta and R. Hutcheson; committee, Messrs. R. Hutcheson, J. Apolony, F. Franklin, J. Regent, R. Graves, G. Wilcox, A. Fitzpatrick, T. O'Donnell, E. McFadden; hon. auditors, Messrs. P. F. McQuade and G. H. Atkinson. The balance sheet sewed a credit balance of £10 6s 2d.3
Balmain Rugby League First Grade 1909 (Joe Regent middle row second from left)
Article3 May 1909 "The Sydney Morning Herald", NSW;
The teams for this match to be played on the Agricultural Ground on Wednesday next, at 3.15, are: -
Full-back: C. Hedley.
Three-quarters: A. Rosenfeldt, M. Bolewski, Heidke, D. Frawley.
Halves. - A. Butler, A. Holloway.
Forwards: L. O'Malley, Abercrombie, E. Courtney, W. Cann, S. Pearce, W. Noble.

Rest of N.S.W. League.
Full-back: W. Whitfield (North Sydney).
Three-quarters: Storie (South Sydney), A. Conlin (South Sydney), D. Brown (Eastern Suburbs), Broomham (North Sydney).
Halves: Edwards (Balmain), W. Webb (Eastern Suburbs).
Forwards: J. Regent (Balmain), F. Notting (North Sydney), E. Meade (Western Suburbs), M. Frawley (Eastern Suburbs), H. Thompson (South Sydney), A. J. Sorridge (Eastern Suburbs).
Emergencies: -Forwards: Coxon (South Sydnev), S. Carpenter (Newcastle). Backs: N. Brien (Newcastle), W. McCarthy (North Sydney).

Players will train at the Agricultural Ground on Tuesday at 3.30 p.m.8 
Article26 May 1909 "Sydney Sportsman", Sydney, NSW3
Joe Regent caricature
Article31 May 1909 "The Sydney Morning Herald", NSW;
Played on Birchgrove Park, and won by Balmain by 16 points to 8. Mr. C. Hutchinson was referee.
Chevall led off for Newtown, and play was very even, the ball travelling up and down the ground rapidly. Jones for Newtown, and Woolley for Balmain, showed capital form but the general excellence of both teams prevented other than temporary advantage being gained by their efforts. At length Jones secured, and, making a capital run into Balmain's 25, passed to Lee before he was brought down and the latter scored. Cheadle's attempt at goal failed. Newtown 3 to nil. Almost immediately Newtown looked as if they were going to score again, but the Balmain back division relieved the pressure, and play was transferred to the other end. There O'Donnell marked in front of the posts, and Fitzpatrick kicked a good goal. Newtown 3, Balmain 2.
Newtown made a rush, and Cheadle obtaining, passed to Hawkes to Lee, who was brought down by Woolley near the goal-line. Balmain had to force down to save further trouble. Balmain rallied, and a fine passing rush, in which Holloway, Edwards, Fitzpatrick and Moore took part, almost resulted in a score, Meredith bringing down the latter within a few yards of the line. Newtown again took a hand, Jones obtained and taking the ball down the field to Balmain's 25, passed to Hawkes, who ran well and beating all opposition scored between the posts. The same player also converted. Newtown 8, Balmain 2.
Graves kicked off for Balmain in the second half, and Holloway obtaining passed to Edwards, to Fitzpatrick, who was brought down near the line. Balmain again attacked, and Moore, picking up, ran down the wing, but was collared. Returning to the attack with even greater dash, Balmain forwards were not to be denied, Holloway, obtained and passed to Edwards, to Walker, to Fitzpatrick, to O'Donnell, who scored about 10yds from the corner. Fitzpatrick from an awkward angle failed to convert. Newtown 8, Balmain 5. Again Balmain had their opponents defending and from a scrum in the corner Holloway picked up, and got across in capital style. Fitzpatrick failed to convert. Scores, 8 all. The game was now a splendid one, and the crowd, a record one for these matches was worked up to a great pitch of excitement. Newtown, albeit boys compared to their opponents, were playing a great defensive game, but the weight and endurance of Balmain were beginning to tell, and the visitors were almost continuously on the defensive. At length Regent obtained from a scrum and dribbling the ball across fell on it, and scored. Fitzpatrick again failed at goal. Balmain, 11 to 8, and the local team's supporters jubilant. Newtown rallied and play was transferred to Balmain's 25, but Newtown missed a chance by faulty passing. Hawkes was injured, and play was suspended for a time. On resuming Balmain again pressed but they were met with equal determination and play, was transferred to their 25. There however Moore picked up, and, running the whole length of the field scored near the posts. Fitzpatrick had the kick and made no mistake. Balmain, 16 to 8. A fine struggle ensued to the end, but there was no addition to the score, Balmain winning one of the finest league games seen on the ground by 16 points to 8.3 
Article12 July 1909 "The Sydney Morning Herald", NSW;
Played on Birchgrove Park. Mr. G. Seabrook was referee.
The weather was eminently suitable for football, and the ground in capital order. Newcastle won the toss, and Graves kicked off for Balmain. The local forwards by a series of brilliant passes, in which Smith was conspicuous, took the ball right down the field, and a try seemed certain, when Walsh, the Newcastle back, relieved. The visitors played up, and the ball travelled to the other end, where some clever work on both sides ended in the ball going out. Balmain were given a free for illegal play, near the centre, and the forwards following up the kick rushed the ball down to Newcastle's goal, where a melee occurred, and one of the Newcastle backs relieved. Soon afterwards Woolley had a drop for goal, and the kick was a good one, just shaving the post. The struggle was keen, Newcastle playing with much determination, but Balmain pressed hard, and the visitors only escaped disaster by forcing. A free against Balmain enabled Bailey to make a splendid kick from the centre, the only fault of which was that the ball dropped short. Exciting play followed, Newcastle being mostly on the defensive, but the local men were enabled to break down the stubborn defence of their opponents, whose tackling was splendid. Some mid-field play followed, and good football was shown on both sides, but there was no score up till the half-time whistle sounded.
On resuming, play had only proceeded a couple of minutes when Bailey, from a mark near the centre line, kicked a splendid goal. Newcastle, 2 to nil. From a scrum near the centre Newcastle forwards obtained and rushed the ball down into Balmain's 25, where Woolley relieved. Newcastle forwards by a capital dribbling rush got dangerously close to Balmain's line, but Woolley was there. Balmain then took a hand, and fine passing by Graves and others transferred play to Newcastle's 25, where a most exciting melee took place, each side playing with the greatest determination. Eventually, after some time, play was transferred to the centre. 'There Holloway picked up from a scramble, and running clean through all opponents easily scored between the posts. Regent converted. Balmain, 5 to 2. Pressing their advantage, the local team again worked down to Newcastle's 25, where another great fight took place, and the visitors had to force down. Newcastle rallied, some fine individual play being shown by Bailey, the Carpenters, and others, and Balmain had a warm time defending their goal. From a scrum in the corner Coleman snapped up and got across. He appeared to score, the Newcastle players asserted that he did score, but the referee's decision was against him. Thenceforward to the end of the game the play was of the most determined character, each goal being attacked in turn, but there was no addition to the score, Balmain winning one of the hardest fought games seen on the ground for a long time by 5 points to 4.
For Balmain Woolley, Graves, Holloway, Regent, and Latta were the most conspicuous, and for Newcastle Bailey, Brien, Walsh, Carpenter (2), and Coleman were the best of a fine team. About 2500 spectators were present.3 
Article16 August 1909 "The Sydney Morning Herald", NSW;
Played on Wentworth Park, and won by Balmain by 15 to 8. Referee, Mr. A. Farrow.
In the first half Balmain had the better of the game, putting up 6 points to nil. They showed much the finer combination, and their forward rushes had more cohesion in them. Still, the general character of the game in this spell was not up to expectatations [sic]. Eastern Suburbs sometimes looked dangerous, but they could not break through the solid defence put up by Balmain. The latter's two tries were registered by Edwards and Walker, the shots at goal failing to convert. The try by Edwards was due to a fine bumping run by Smith, who tried to force his way through the full-back and lost the ball. The game was exciting to close upon a 3000 attendance. The half-time score was Balmain 6 to nil.
Balmaln's first score in the second half came from obstruction. There was a rush towards East's corner. King was slow in getting to the ball, and then he illegally interfered with Walker. The ball went into touch in goal, and it was not at all certain that the Balmain man would have scored. The referee, however, did the right thing. He awarded a try to Balmain. The kick for goal failed. The next score came from Graves, who carried a couple of men over the line. Again the kick for goal failed. Eastern Suburbs, per medium of Lenton, registered a try. King's effort at goal being a poster. Towards the end of the game East bustled up, and King kicked a penalty goal. Balmain, however, were not nearly done. They charged down with great passing. Graves gave Smith a long pass, and the latter ran brilliantly, and was tackled. At length Regent took a pass after a clever chain of transfers, and forced his way over. The goal kick failed. Balmain were now 15 to 5, and were playing a splendid game. Play became very stirring in its closing stages. At one time three men were laid out, but there was nothing much in the way of damage. Just on time Surridge scored a try for Eastern Suburbs, the kick for goal failing.
Full-time. Balmain, 15 to 8.3 
Article18 September 1909 "The Sydney Morning Herald", NSW;
The final match between the Wallabies, and the Kangaroos will be played on the Agricultural Ground this afternoon. Of the three matches decided the Wallabies have won two and lost one. The teams are:-
Full-back: W. Whitfield (North Sydney).
Three-quarters: D. Messenger (Eastern Suburbs), A. Broomham (North Sydney), A. Hawkes (Newtown), and J. Stunts (Eastern Suburbs).
Halves: Brown (Eastern Suburbs), Patfield (New castle).
Forwards: S. Pearce (Eastern Suburbs), E. Courtney (Western Suburbs), W. Noble (Newtown), A. Burdon (Glebe), S. Carpenter (Newcastle), and J. Kendall (North Sydney).
Emergencies: Back, F. Cheadle (Newtown); forward, M. Frawley (Eastern Suburbs).
Full-back: E. Mandible.
Three-quarters: C. Russell, J. Hickey, W. Farnsworth, R. Gavin.
Halves: A. J. McCabe and C. McKivatt.
Forwards: J. McMurtrie, McIntyre, H. R. Craig, K. Gavin, P. Burge, J. Barnett.
Emergencies: Backs, V. Farnsworth, W. Dix; forwards, P. M'Cue, A. B. Burge.
Referee: Mr. G. Seabrook.
The early match will be the final of the first grade, Balmain v South Sydney, which will begin [at 2.1] 5.
Referee: Mr. W. P. Finegan. The teams [team lists not shown]
The Balmain Club appears to have a grievance in being expected to make one of the teams to provide the early match to-day. It is to meet South Sydney in the final. Yesterday some of the committee waited upon the secretary. The committee of the league had no knowledge officially of the deputation. The Balmain members complained that they had been badly treated, and that they should not be asked to play an early match. However, nothing was done. If they do not turn up to-day the match will be awarded to South Sydney, and in order not to disappoint the public a combined team will be put up against South Sydney. In the event of Balmain not putting in an appearance, the matter will be brought before the general committee of the league, and the club will be dealt with. The officials of the league state that the Balmain club has no cause for complaint with regard to the season's matches, and that if the club fails to turn up for the final to-day it will be a bad case of disloyalty.
The Balmain club suggested that the final should be deferred, but the league cannot meet that request for the simple reason that the leases of the various grounds will run out to-day. Owing to the possibility of the match not being played, players not taking part in the Wallaby-Kangaroo match should be on the ground for selection for the early match.3 
Article20 September 1909 "The Sydney Morning Herald", NSW;
As anticpiated [sic] in Saturday's issue, Balmain failed to attend at the Agricultural Ground that after noon. The crowd did not take the game substistituted [sic] with any seriousness, and the happenings that led up to the non-appearance of the Balmain team were freely commented upon. The Balmain team objected to being asked to play the first-grade final at 2 p.m., but at the back of the trouble there were hints of a mercenary character and a feeling that the first-grade final was being subordinated to the game which was supposed to prove more spectacular, but had not the importance of the first-grade final.
South Sydney attended in force, and took the field for the match against Balmain. They kicked off, and a farcical try was scored. The match was then awarded to South Sydney.
To appease the public a game was then played between an odd mixture of players wearing different coloured guernseys, the most prominent being those of Eastern Suburbs on the one side and South Sydney on the other. It was not much of a task to set South Sydney to defeat a team called "Combined," but in whose ranks combination was not very manifest. The South Sydney men naturally played with their opponents rather than against them with the willingness which they would have exhibited against a club worthy of their best efforts. The teams were:
Combined.-Full-back, Williams; three-quarters, J. Dalton, Cohen, Foran, and A. Morris; half-backs, B. Dalton and J. Hinchey; forwards, Brown, Keogh, J. Moroney, C. Swinson, T. Golden, and P. Phelan.
South Sydney.-Full-back, H. Hallett; three-quarters, T. Anderson, A. Conlin, W. Davis, and F. Storie; half-backs, A. Butler and W. Fry; forwards, R. Green, H. Butler, W. Conlin, M. Coxon, W. Cann, and P. Carroll.
Mr. W. P. Finnegan, referee.
The game needs no description. It was played on a sodden field in a light rain, and at the end of the first half the scores were, South Sydney 15 points, Combined nil. A short half was played, and the teams simply changed ends, and played on without a rest. South Sydney eased off after the change for a while, and the Combined team scored a few points before they again infused a little willingness into their play. Some amusement was caused when the referee recalled Hallett, the South Sydney full-back, who had scored a try after following up his own kick, and evading the opposition, for off-side. All the players stood still to laugh at the referee's palpable blunder. The final scores were, South Sydney 18 points, Combined 10 points.3 
Article21 September 1909 "The Sydney Morning Herald", NSW;
Sir, -In refusing to play South Sydney league team in the early match prior to the last fixture, Wallaby v Kangaroo match, I think the playing members of the Balmain league team can honestly say (after the action of a few irresponsible officials of their team), "save me from my friends." Look at the officials' parrot-like cry - "Being made tools of," "Belittling the club," "Will not play an early match," etc, etc, never a word relative to South Sydney team (although premiers since the formation of the league) being belittled, made tools of, etc. I may mention that South Sydney team have not met the Balmain team off Birchgrove since the league competitions started two seasons ago. Balmain, also, were never sent to Newcastle by the league; so asking them to meet South Sydney for the first time at 2.15 p.m. (with a saving clause of a quarter of an hour's grace), which was carried at the league meeting last Monday night, September 13, in the presence of the Balmain club's delegates, was fair enough in all conscience. South Sydney team have defeated every club In the league competition this season, and been defeated themselves only once, at Newcastle, by a narrow margin, when South's four best players were not available. I may add that on the Saturday following this event South Sydney met Newcastle in the semi-final at the Agricultural Ground and defeated them 20 to nil, which speaks volumes. We were also only defeated once least season, by Eastern Suburbs, by 1 point, thus making only two defeats in two seasons. Also in every match of any consequence this season we were always represented by at least four representatives from the team. So as we were willing to be "made tools of," "belittled in playing an early match," etc, etc, it does not seem feasible to me that the Balmain Club should refuse to play considering the difference in merit and the performances of the two teams. However, we can lay the flattering unction to ourselves that although we win the premiership and medals by forfeit. Balmain league team have never since the formation of league football, defeated South Sydney league team; and as we have defeated every team in the competition this season, as well as last season also, we can conscientiously sign ourselves premiers, 1908-1909.
I am, etc, THOS. H. PETERS,
Hon. Sec. South Sydney League Team.3 
Article23 September 1909 "The Sydney Morning Herald", NSW;
At a meeting of the committee of the Rugby League, held last night, the report of the referee upon Saturday's final was received. He reported that Balmain had not put in an appearance, and that he had awarded, by forfeit, the match to South Sydney. His report was adopted, and therefore the premier club is South Sydney.
A deputation from the Balmain Club waited upon the league committee last night with reference to the matter, and asked if it were the intention of the committee to play the final match next Saturday. The reason for the club not turning up on Saturday was that the decision to play the final that day was considered to be unconstitutional. It was now asked that the final be played next Saturday. As the committee had accepted the report of the referee, and had awarded the championship to South Sydney, the matter had ended.3 
Note*2 April 1912 NSW;
In the Supreme Court of New South Wales Matrimonial Causes Jurisdiction
No. 139/12
To the Honorable Alexander Gordon, Judge of the Matrimonial Causes Court.
In re Joseph Regent, of 14, Foucart Street, Rozelle,and in re his wife, Esther Regent, of
The Second day of April 1912.
The Petition of Joseph Regent
1. That your Petitioner was on the 30th of March 1901, married to the Respondent, then Esther Johnson, at Pitt Street, Sydney, in the State of New South Wales, according to the rites of the New Unitarian Church.
2. There is no issue of the said marriage.
3. Your Petitioner is a native of Balmain, and has for three years and upwards been domiciled in the State of New South Wales.
4. The Respondent is a native of Pyrmont.
5. The Respondent has without cause or excuse wilfully deserted your Petitioner and without any such cause or excuse left him continuously so deserted during three years and upwards.
Your Petitioner therefore humbly prays
1. That your Honor will be pleased to decree that the marriage of your Petitioner with his said wife be disolved.
2. And that your Petitioner may have such further or other relief granted to him as your Honor may seen meet.
[Signed] Joseph Regent9 
Letter*9 September 1912 Sydney, NSW;
George st
West Post of G
9 Sep 1912

I waited for you that Saturday but as I did not want to go up to the house, I had forgot aboyt the Froms [sic] so had to wait till after 8. Will you see me on Friday night as I want to see you I will be just off the road on the flat I mean the bullock road so you wont have to come far I will be there at ¼ past 7 so if you have to go any were [sic] I wont keep you, it might be the last time I will see you any how for a while, May has been very ill again I don’t think she will evey [sic] be prpely [sic] well again I went to the hospital last week & I have to go in but I am afraid as I don’t like getting cut about, what I have seen of May since she came out 8 month ago, I thiny [sic] I will go *** as I am well I have no more now to say as I will tell you all when I see you.
I am…;Principal=Esther Johnson9 
Divorce*16 February 1915 Supreme Court of NSW, Sydney, NSW;
This marriage no 2526/01 was dissolved by decree of the Supreme Court of NSW on the 16 Feb 1915; Registered No 139/12; RG Dept No 1593/15; Petitioner: Husband – 24 Feb 1915;Divorcee=Esther Regent1 
Residence1930 Fifteenth Avenue, Hoxton Park West, NSW;
Regent, Ellen, Fifteenth avenue, Hoxton Park West, home duties
Regent, Joseph, Fifteenth avenue, Hoxton Park West, farmer;Principal=Ellen Leonard10 
Residence*1936 Fifteenth Avenue, Hoxton Park West, NSW;
Regent, Joseph, Fifteenth avenue, Hoxton Park West, farmer10 
Death*3 August 1945 State Hospital and Home, Liverpool, NSW;
Name: Joseph Regent
Date of Death: 3 Aug 1945
Place of Death: State Hospital and Home Liverpool; Late of West Hoxton, Nepean Shire NSW
Occupation: Poultry Farmer
Sex: Male
Age: 67
Conjugal Status: Divorced
Place of Birth: Rozelle NSW
Time in Aust Colonies:

Father: Joseph Regent
Occupation: Not Known
Mother: Not Known

Place of Marriage: Not Known
Age at Marriage: Not Known
Name of Spouse: Not Known
Children of Marriage: Not Known
Informant: F H Jenkins, no relation, West Hoxton

Cause of Death: Carcinoma of Stomach and Oesophagus
Length of Illness:
Medical Attendant: J L McDonald
Date last seen: 5 Aug 1945

Date of Burial: 6 Aug 1945
Place of Burial: Roman Catholic Cemetery Liverpool
Minister & Religion: John Collins, Roman Catholic
Undertaker: Frank Murphy, employed by Wood Coffill Limited
Witnesses: W Hawkings, S Beckingham11 
As part of Centenary of Rugby League celebrations Balmain Rugby League Football Club struck commemorative medals with individual numbers representing the order in which players represented the club. Joe Regent having played fullback in the very first Balmain premiership match received number 13. Joe played 20 matches for the club over 2 years, scoring 6 tries and 6 goals for a total of 30 points. Joe died without children and the medal was given to Wests Tigers coach Tim Sheens in 2011.
Joe Regent commemorative medal (front)
Joe Regent commemorative medal (reverse)


Esther Johnson


  1. [S109] NSW Marriage Transcript (Marilyn Rowan), 2526/1901 Joseph Regent & Esther Johnson.
  2. [S30] Sydney Morning Herald, online unknown url, Death notices - Elizabeth Regent - April 10th 1886.
  3. [S154] Australian Newspapers,
  4. [S28] Sydney and New South Wales Sands Directories, by W.F. Pascoe Pty Ltd.
  5. [S107] NSW Death Transcript (Marilyn Rowan), 13678/1905 Joseph Regent.
  6. [S154] Australian Newspapers,, "The Balmain Observer" Saturday, September 1, 1906.
  7. [S184] Tim Sheens photographs.
  8. [S192] The Sydney Morning Herald.
  9. [S297] Private papers of Tim Sheens.
  10. [S182] Australian Electoral Rolls,
  11. [S107] NSW Death Transcript (Marilyn Rowan), 17865/1945 Joseph Regent.