Emily Amelia Thornton1
F, #60, b. 7 July 1810, d. 21 June 1887
|Father||Richard Thornton2 d. May 1830|
|Relationship||3rd great-grandmother of Timothy George Sheens|
|Charts||Ancestors of Timothy George Sheens|
|Last Edited||26 May 2015|
|Name Variation||Emma Trueman4|
|Birth*||7 July 1810||Southwark, Surrey, England3|
|Baptism||19 August 1810||St George the Martyr, Southwark, Surrey, England;|
Emma Daugr of Richard & Elizabeth Thornton, born 7th of July3
|Criminal*||12 January 1826||Old Bailey, London, Middlesex, England;335. EMMA TRUEMAN was indicted for stealing, on the 13th of September, 14 yards of cotton, value 10s., the goods of John D'Oyly. |
ANGELIOUS BERTRAUN. I was in Oxford-street about four o'clock in the evening of the 13th of December, and saw the prisoner opposite Mr. D'Oyly's shop, near the Pantheon; she put her hand inside the door-way, and put something under her shawl - went to the next door, and then came back by the shop again - I crossed over and met her - I asked her what she had got, she said nothing; I turned back her shawl and found the cotton, which I took back to the shop, where they owned it.
EVAN DAVIS. I am in the employ of Mr. John D'Oyly, Bertraun brought the prisoner back with the piece of cotton, which I had seen within the door about half an hour before.(Property produced and sworn to.)
Prisoner's Defence. It was distress.
GUILTY. Aged 17.
Transported for Seven Years.5
|Transportation*||23 January 1827||"Grenada", Sydney, NSW;|
Name: Emma Trueman
Trial Place & Year: London 1826
Sentence: 7 years
|Permission to Marry||13 May 1828||NSW;|
Laurence Gill, 29, Dorothy, Seven yrs, Free
Emma Trueman, 19, Grenada, Seven yrs, Bond
Clergyman: Rev M D Meares, Windsor;Principal=Laurence Gill7
|Married Name||11 June 1828||Gill8|
|Marriage*||11 June 1828||Sackville Reach, NSW;|
Lawrence Gill of this parish and
Emma Trueman of this Parish were
married in this Chapel by Banns with consent of His Excellency the Governor
this eleventh day of June in the year 1828
By me M D Meares Chaplain
This marriage was solemnized between us
Lawrence Gill his mark
Emma trueman her mark
In the Presence of
James Gatten of Sackville Reach;Groom=Laurence Gill4
|Birth of Son||16 August 1828||Sackville Reach, NSW;Principal=Laurence Gill9|
|Census 1828*||1828||Portland Head, NSW;|
Lawrence Gill, 28, Free by Servitude, Protestant, "Dorothy", 1820, Labourer
Emma Gill, 21, Government Servant, Protestant, "Grenada", 1827
Lawrence Gill, 3m, Born Colony, Protestant;Head of Household=Laurence Gill, Witness=Laurence Gill10
|Birth of Daughter||23 March 1830||Sackville Reach, NSW;Principal=Margaret Gill11|
|Death of Father||May 1830||Fair Street, Southwark, Surrey, England;Principal=Richard Thornton12|
|Birth of Son||6 June 1834||Colo, NSW;Principal=Matthew James Gill13|
|Birth of Son||6 June 1837||Colo, NSW;Principal=James Gill13|
|Birth of Son||27 April 1838||Colo, NSW;Principal=Peter Gill13|
|Birth of Son||1839||Colo, NSW;Principal=Henry Gill14|
|Birth of Son||20 April 1842||Colo Branch, NSW;Principal=John Gill15|
|Birth of Daughter||4 May 1845||Colo Branch, NSW;Principal=Marianne Gill16|
|Birth of Son||4 May 1846||Colo River, NSW;Principal=Michael Gill17|
|Birth of Son||21 February 1849||NSW;Principal=George Gill18|
|Death*||21 June 1887||Colo, NSW;Name: Emily Amelia Gill|
Date of Death: 21/6/1887
Place: Colo, Richmond NSW
Place of Birth: England
Time in Aust Colonies: About 60 years
Father: James Thornton
Occupation: Not known
Mother: Not known
Place of Marriage: Lower Portland NSW
Age at Marriage: About 19
Name of Spouse: Lawrence Gill
Children of Marriage: 7 males living; 1 male, 1 female deceased
Informant: Benjamin Gosper, no relationship, Colo
Cause of Death: Senile Decay
Length of Illness: Some months
Date Last Seen:
Date of Burial: 22/6/1887
Place of Burial: Colo
Minister & Religion:
Undertaker: William Penton
Witnesses: Henry Gill, W H Gosper
Registered: 27/6/1887 - Richmond2
|Headstone*||Upper Colo Cemetery, Upper Colo, NSW;|
|Laurence Gill b. 3 May 1801, d. 14 Feb 1891|
- [S107] NSW Death Transcript (Marilyn Rowan), 9371/1887 Emily Amelia Gill.
- [S107] NSW Death Transcript (Marilyn Rowan), 9371/1887 Emily A Gill.
- [S295] London, Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1812, online www.ancestry.com.
- [S55] Microfilm Marriage, Early Church of England, 1788-1855 "V1828812 12/1828 Lawrence Gill & Emma Trueman."
- [S67] Website Old Bailey Proceedings (http://www.oldbaileyonline.org) "Reference Number: t18260112-153.
- [S156] The Convicts to Port Jackson 1788 - 1849, The Convicts to Port Jackson.
- [S168] NSW Convict Register of Applications to Marry 1826-1851, online http://ancestry.com
- [S12] NSW Marriage Index, V1828812 12/1828 Lawrence Gill & Emma Trueman.
- [S13] NSW Birth Index, V1828510 13/1828 Lawrence Gill.
- [S158] 1828 Census for New South Wales, Australia (online image) "Household of Lawrence Gill."
- [S56] Microfilm Baptism, Early Church of England, 1788-1855 "V1831636 15/1831 Margaret Gill."
- [S325] London, Deaths and Burials, 1813-1980, www.ancestry.co.uk.
- [S62] Microfilm Baptism, St Johns Wilberforce, 1826-1971.
- [S107] NSW Death Transcript (Marilyn Rowan), 13236/1891 Laurence Gill.
- [S58] Microfilm Roman Catholic Baptism Registers, "V18422563 62/1842 John Gill."
- [S58] Microfilm Roman Catholic Baptism Registers, "V18452561 62/1845 Marianne Gill."
- [S58] Microfilm Roman Catholic Baptism Registers, "V1846612 66/1846 Michael Gill."
- [S58] Microfilm Roman Catholic Baptism Registers, "V18492063 67/1849 George Gill."
- [S184] Tim Sheens photographs.
- [S11] NSW Death Index, 1079/1903 son of Laurence & Emma.